HR Basics for Small Business
Integrity Staffing & Solutions
Your employees are the lifeblood of your business. Your employees deliver on your promise to the customer. Some of the important functions the employees perform are to:
- Engage the customer
- Communicate the value of your products or services
- Look for opportunities to upsell customers
- Execute the delivery of the appropriate products or services
- Follow-up on customer questions and concerns
For employees to be effective, you must focus on the nature of the work that needs to be performed; the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the work; the best way to educate, train, and orient a new employee to the company; and the means to provide performance feedback.
The following HR basics can help your business define the work, select appropriately skilled employees, manage performance, and retain employees:
- Develop a basic job description that outlines the essential duties and responsibilities of each unique job in your organization. The description should also identify both the basic and the preferred qualifications for each position.
- Put in place a consistent screening process that will assist you in identifying the candidates with the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the job.
- Have a well thought out plan for bringing new hires into your organization. The plan should provide employees with the job description and performance expectations for their job, reasonable training to learn processes and new skills, and an understanding of your company’s vision, mission, and values.
- Develop a method for providing employees with regular performance feedback. The system may be written or verbal or a combination of the two, but it is important for employees to know what they are doing well and what they need to do better. It should include feedback not just on how well they execute the duties of their job, but how well their work behavior aligns with the vision, mission, and values of the company.
High performing employees have a tremendous impact on the company’s bottom line. Implementing these human resource basics can determine whether your business attracts and retains those difference makers.